About Poverty and Homelessness
Findings from the latest Alachua County Homeless Census (conducted January 24, 2012)
- Total homeless people counted: 2094 (up from 1781 one year ago)
- Homeless people living without shelter: 1235 (up from 816 one year ago)
- Homeless people in shelter: 543 (down from 571 one year ago)
- Homeless children in school: 316 (down from 394 one year ago)
- Total unmet need for housing (according to HUD 2012 Housing/Homelessness Report):
- 844 beds in transitional housing units
- 839 beds in permanent supportive housing units
From 742 interviews. The demographics of the interviewees are described later on this page.
- Number and percent of interviewed homeless reporting major cause of homelessness as:
- inadequate income: 519 = 70%
- family conflict: 94 = 13%
- Percent of interviewed homeless reporting experiencing:
- health problems: 8%
- mental health issues: 29%
- addiction: 22%
- domestic violence: 2%
- HIV/AIDS: 3%
- Number and percent of interviewed homeless reporting:
- Became homeless in Alachua County: 339 = 46%
- Became homeless elsewhere in Florida: 208 = 28%
- Resident in Alachua County over one year: 498 = 67%
- Homeless under one year/AC resident over one year: 115/498 = 23%
What do we conclude from the Homeless Census?
- The majority of homeless people are able-bodied men who can't find work at a living wage.
- The proportion of homeless people impaired by health problems is at least 30%.
- Overall, homelessness is increasing.
- Homelessness among veterans is declining as housing programs for vets have increased.
- To significantly reduce homelessness and its harmfulness, provide housing, provide health care,
provide relational skill training, provide employability services, provide work programs.
- We need lots more help from our community to help our neighbors.
Demographics of interviewees
- Number of homeless counted who agreed to interviews: 742
- Percent of homeless counted who agreed to interviews (742/1778): 42%
- Woment as percent of homeless interviewed: 27%
- Men as percent of homeless interviewed: 73%
- African Americans as percent of homeless interviewed: 43% (up from 40% in 2011, 32% in 2010)
- European Americans as % of homeless interviewed: 48%
- Veterans as percent of homeless interviewed: 20% (down from 36% one year ago)
- Interviewed homeless by age group:
- Under 18 (14): 2%
- 18-34 (154): 21%
- 35-49 (272): 37%
- 50-64 (248): 33%
- 65+ (19): 3%
- no report (35): 5%
Resources on homelessness
|Ten Year Plan to End Homelessness
||Provides information on the steps we are taking to eliminate homelessness in the
City of Gainesville and Alachua County.|
|Homeless Conditions in Gainesville
||Describes homelessness in Gainesville and Alachua County based on the point-in-time census conducted
in January 2009.|
||2012 Update to Homeless Conditions in Gainesville|